Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Feel better using a little reminder

There's an unusual amount of construction happening on the roads between my home and my office. I literally cannot choose a route that doesn't bypass some road construction. This has been going on for a few months now.

As I approached one set of orange signs and a roadblock, I noticed that no work was actually being done this morning. This was an invitation for my mind to go to frustrating places such as, What the [heck]? and When will this ever end? and This has been going on forever! 

It was then that the thought End of October! entered my mind, and I instantly chilled out and felt much better.

Recently, I'd mentioned to some friends about the frustrating amount of road construction going on. One person pointed out that road construction has a window from April until October to get all of the work done. Something about the temperature and its effect on pavement. End of October! was a shorthand way of refreshing my memory about the longer conversation.

It hasn't been forever, it won't last forever, and, in fact, we're really close to the end of the inconvenience. I can easily hang in there a bit longer.

So, use brief catch phrases to remind you that there's another way to look at the situation. Make this attitude change once, no big deal. Do it three or four times a day, multiply it by seven days a week, multiply it again by a year's worth of effort, and this technique can be a major contributor to you having a more relaxed and pleasant life.

No comments:

Post a Comment