Saturday, September 21, 2013

Welcome to my blog

As a Life & Career Coach, I help people to speed up the time between dreaming and doing. The biggest challenge in making this happen is understanding that there's something in between those two states. There are a number of things we can call it. Getting out of our own way. Overcoming negativity and struggling to stay positive. Floundering in lack of confidence and motivation.

In between having dreams and making them come true, you eventually have to do something today, in the present moment. It will help if what you are doing is effective, actually working well and helping you to succeed. However, it all starts with moving beyond doing nothing and finding a way to do something, as soon as possible, consistently.

To help my clients to take those initial steps into action, I like to tell a story from the movie, Bull Durham. Crash Davis is a professional baseball player on the AAA level, just below the major leagues. Annie Savoy is a Super Fan of the Durham Bulls, providing good company and timely wisdom for a number of the players and coaches.

Davis is in a battling slump, and he and Annie are at the cages. He's trying to practice his swing, attempting to work his way out of his struggles in the batter's box. Annie takes his place at the plate, and she imparts this bit of sage advice: "Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate." I don't think I've heard a better, more direct set of instructions about how someone can get into "the zone" and perform well.

So, that's what my blog is all about: how do we relax and concentrate on any given day, enough so that we can work our way out of slumps, avoid negativity, keep a focus on our own well being, and have more fun, even when we're technically working. Like any decent Life & Career Coach, I help you to set goals, prioritize them, break them into smaller steps, and encourage you along the way. However, my specialty is helping you to develop the habits that keep you clear and present on a daily basis, so that regular life doesn't distract or discourage you from making your dreams come true.

I hope you find this blog useful and that you enjoy it. 

About Gerry

I'm a Life & Career Coach living and working in Baltimore, Maryland. I am a Master of Clinical Social Work (MSW), and I have 18+ years of counseling and coaching experience. In additional to emotion management and mindfulness, I specialize in assisting with career transitions, having moved from being a software technical writer into being a Life & Career Coach. I established my private coaching practice in 2002. Finally, I make my home with my husband, David Kimble, and our two Basenji dogs, Q and Coal. And I work hard to practice everything that I preach.

Here are some links if you'd like to learn more about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment