Friday, March 21, 2014

Thoughts have no power

That's what I said. Thoughts have NO power.

Thoughts have power only if you BELIEVE them. When you believe a thought—idea, concept, notion, what others say about you—it can be hard to see life clearly, and it can lead to bad decisions and ineffective action. Also, the more you dwell on a thought, the more likely you are to start believing it.

Let me use a silly example to demonstrate my point. Right now I'm thinking, "I can  fly like Superman." 

Just because I think that doesn't make it true, right? Now, let's say that I'm unfortunate enough to belief that I can fly like Superman. I might see lots of "evidence" around me that convinces me that I'm right. (Strong beliefs can filter what you see, hear, and think, so the only information that gets in strengthens what you already believe. People who believed that the earth was flat somehow found lots of evidence of flatness.) Let's say that I decide to take action based on the belief that I can fly, and I jump off a tall building in a single bound. In that case, you wouldn't be reading any more blog entries from me. 

The "flying like Superman" example is silly. Before I go, let me share types of thoughts that bother some of my clients, thoughts that should be dismissed and laughed at as much as "I can fly like Superman":
  • I'm stupid
  • I'll look stupid
  • People think I'm stupid
  • Nobody loves me
  • I'm fat
  • I'm ugly
  • I can't do that
  • I'm a loser
  • My father/mother should have loved me more
  • I'm broken
  • I'll never find love
  • That's easier said than done
  • I might never reach my potential
  • What's the use
  • Things will never get better
  • What's the use?
  • I hate him/her
Dismiss these powerless thoughts. Attention is like food for them; starve them! Instead, focus on doing something enjoyable and productive in the present moment. In time, those thoughts will lessen have less and less power over you. If you have "sticky" thoughts that are hard to shake, try using "thought stopping" techniques to interrupt and quiet them before returning your attention to the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment